Skip to main content

Featured

Snowflakes over Middlewick Bay by Eliza JScott #Review #MiddlewickBayBook8

I am delighted to feature the eighth in Eliza J Scott's Micklewick Bay series, Snowflakes Over Middlewick Bay , which was published by Storm Publishing on October 2nd. A wintry treat brimming with snowflakes, secrets and second chances!   When her beloved Aunt Colleen passes away, settling her affairs means doing the one thing Hannah Merryweather has spent years avoiding: returning to Micklewick Bay, the seaside town she fled years ago and has never quite found the courage to face again.   Coming home means facing the past too. Polly, her stepmother, and Darryl, her stepbrother, still loom large over the life she once knew, and the home she lost is never far from her thoughts.   Then, on her very first day back, she nearly collides with the one man she never expected to see again: Lachie, the kilted, green-eyed Scotsman who stole her heart last spring. His unexpected arrival in Micklewick Bay is the last complication Hannah needs – especially as feelings she thought she’...

Is this for real? by Kathy Strobos #Review #NewYorkFriendshipBook2

 

We are off to New York for today's romcom, Is This For Real? by Kathy Strobos. 


An opposites attract, friends-to-lovers, slow burn, fake dating romantic comedy

Love is all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. Usually me. I admit it, I’m a relationship-recluse. Ironic, given that I write romantic comedies. So, I’m on a sabbatical from dating.

Which is why fake dating my best friend Rory is fool-proof. Rory suggested it because he needed a date for work functions. And I can use our experiences as fodder for my romcom novel. Plus, my sister doesn’t know it’s not real and she is thrilled that I’m not walling myself off emotionally. Her words, not mine. But I do wish she would stop saying that she always suspected there was something more between me and Rory. She should realize that we’ve been friends forever so I’m immune to his appeal.

We would never work. Rory is such a romantic; he still believes in that perfect love similar to his parents’ marriage. My parents fought bitterly. So, we are better off as friends. I can’t risk losing our friendship, even if this might be my chance—before his ex-girlfriend wins him back. 

Those flickers of attraction? Easily extinguished by cold water reality—like a two-mile hike in drenching rain over sand with wheelie luggage.

But our relationship is not sticking to the plot—or is it?


 My Thoughts

This is one of those gentle romcoms which you can relax into and which makes for an entertaining and fun read. I did appreciate the references to several 'romcom tropes' which were reflected in the story itself. Rory and Penelope are both likeable characters and the chemistry between them is obvious from the start. An aspiring romcom writer, you get to follow Penelope's journey as she faces rejection after rejection and at the same time, juggles all the creative projects she has on the go. 

    Written in the first person, you see the story through Penelope's eyes and get to hear her thoughts. This makes her seem very approachable and sympathetic. Seemingly the polar opposite of the romantic Rory, she does all she can to protect her feelings and puts up defences. She gets to express her true feelings through her writing and her creative tasks. There are plenty of characters in the story to add life and humour.

In short: Will they, won't they?

About the Author


Kathy Strobos is a writer living in New York City with her husband and two children, amid a growing collection of books, toys and dollhouses. She grew up in New York City and graduated from Stuyvesant High School, Harvard-Radcliffe University magna cum laude, and Columbia Law School. She spent two semesters abroad at the Universiteit van Amsterdam. She previously worked as a lawyer. She left law to pursue her dream of writing fiction full-time and getting in shape. She is still working on getting in shape.

You can follow Kathy here:  Website |   Facebook  |  Twitter

                                            |  Instagram 

Book links:  Amazon UK  |   Amazon US

Thanks to Kathy Strobos, Strawbundle Publishing and Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for a copy of the book and a place on the tour.

 

Check out these great bloggers!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts