Skip to main content

Featured

A Dash of Christmas Spirit by Susan Buchanan #Review

  Welcome to Susan Buchanan for Book 5 in her Christmas Spirit series, A Dash of Christmas Spirit which was published on September 22nd! There is also a giveaway for you. Details on how to enter are at the foot of this post. CAN LARA ADD A SPRINKLING OF MAGIC THIS CHRISTMAS? Jacob introduces ever tastier treats to the Sugar and Spice cafe’s menu as the Christmas Spirit knits her magic into the lives of those finding this Christmas tough. Florence is struggling to make ends meet and afford the present she knows her son wants for Christmas. Her ex-husband flaunting his new girlfriend and their baby isn’t helping her mood. Widower Jude feels a failure as a father to his two young children after the tragic death of his wife The move to Winstanton was meant to make life easier. Can he learn to carve out time to build new friendships and give himself the chance to grieve? Rachel’s boss has given the promotion he promised her to the man twenty years her junior, whom she trained. S...

It All Started With You by Debbie Howells #Review

 

Happy Publication Day to Debbie Howells on the publication of her novel, It All Started with You. 


I always thought I was going to be a girl who did something. I was going to run my own business and find fame and fortune! Fall in love…

But here I am. Still waiting for it all to happen, sitting on the floor, surrounded by lilies and roses, trying to do my best friend’s wedding flowers because – in her words – ‘how hard can it be, Frankie?’. The answer is actually ‘very hard’ but it’s not the only thing that’s tough right now. My boyfriend won’t commit, I barely have a job, and once again I have the hangover from hell…

What I don’t know is that life’s about to throw me a curveball a new friend I will make with a beautiful, sad-eyed little boy who is so very tragically ill. I still don’t know about that heartbreak.

Even so, in this moment, I know that it’s time for some changes. Maybe it’s time to make my dreams come true? To try to become a marathon-running, healthy-living, wildly-in-love florist-to-the-stars!

Because I’m beginning to realise that you only get one chance at life. I don’t yet how you change everything, all at once, but what I do know is it all starts with me…


 My Thoughts

This is an engaging read which manages to fuse some serious subjects into the story and yet leave you with a feeling of hope and positivity. The characters are all lively, with some hilarious  couples and the various families of the brides who Frankie has to contend with are all in their own way piling up the pressure on Frankie for their ultimate wedding day. Frankie undergoes something of a change as the story develops as she comes to appreciate what truly matters in life and just how 'important' the exact colour of ribbon is in the great scheme of things.

    Not all the characters are likeable but they tend to get their own comeuppance. I loved the setting of the florists. The whole story has a romantic sheen because of it, offset by Mrs Orange's pithy observations on the brides and their mothers. With friends and family issues throughout, this is a packed story but well worth the read. There are some heartbreaking moments, so be warned, you may need your hankie!

In short: laughter and tears

 

About the Author

Debbie Howells’s first novel, a psychological thriller, The Bones of You, was a Sunday Times bestseller for Macmillan. Four more bestsellers followed, including most recently The Vow, published by Avon. Fulfilling her dream of writing women’s fiction, she has found a home with Boldwood and her first title with them, The Life You Left Behind was published in February 2022.

 

You can follow Debbie here: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram

                                            |  Bookbub profile |  Newsletter Sign Up

Book link: Purchase Limk

Thanks to Debbie Howells, Boldwood Books and Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for a copy of the book and a place on the tour.

Check out these brilliant bloggers!
 

 

 


 

 

Comments