Skip to main content

Featured

A Dash of Christmas Spirit by Susan Buchanan #Review

  Welcome to Susan Buchanan for Book 5 in her Christmas Spirit series, A Dash of Christmas Spirit which was published on September 22nd! There is also a giveaway for you. Details on how to enter are at the foot of this post. CAN LARA ADD A SPRINKLING OF MAGIC THIS CHRISTMAS? Jacob introduces ever tastier treats to the Sugar and Spice cafe’s menu as the Christmas Spirit knits her magic into the lives of those finding this Christmas tough. Florence is struggling to make ends meet and afford the present she knows her son wants for Christmas. Her ex-husband flaunting his new girlfriend and their baby isn’t helping her mood. Widower Jude feels a failure as a father to his two young children after the tragic death of his wife The move to Winstanton was meant to make life easier. Can he learn to carve out time to build new friendships and give himself the chance to grieve? Rachel’s boss has given the promotion he promised her to the man twenty years her junior, whom she trained. S...

Little White Secrets #Extract #Publication Day





Today to celebrate the Publication Day of Little White Secrets by Carol Mason, I have a great extract for you to sample. Before we get to it, here's a little about the book: 


A daughter pushing the limits. A marriage ready to crack. A secret that can break them.

For Emily Rossi, life may not be perfect, but it’s pretty close. She has a great career, a house in the country, a solid marriage to Eric and two wonderful children—tennis superstar Daniel and quiet, sensitive Zara. But when her fourteen-year-old daughter brings home a toxic new best friend, Emily’s seemingly perfect family starts to spiral out of control.

Suddenly Zara is staying out late, taking drugs and keeping bad company. And just when Emily needs Eric to be an involved father, he seems too wrapped up with his job in London to care. What’s more, he’s started drinking again.

When a dark secret from the past emerges, Emily’s life is turned upside down. Struggling to protect the people she loves, can she save her damaged family? Doing so may mean keeping a secret of her own…



                                                        Extract

In the beginning of the book Eric and Emily have been invited to their friend’s wedding anniversary party. After the event, Charlotte, sends Emily a video taken by a fellow guest. Emily is horribly embarrassed by it. Up until this point she’d thought Eric’s little white secret – his drinking - had been kept within their four walls. Little does she know there’s actually a much bigger secret he’s keeping.

‘I love my food,’ he was saying to a rather stiff couple of bookish types, who looked cornered. ‘Basically, if there’s an avocado in it, I’ll eat it.’ He swayed a little, clutching his whisky glass high up by his chest. ‘I bloody love avocados! I bet you don’t love them as much as me. I love them so much I could marry them.’
The stiffs couldn’t bring themselves to look amused, even out of charity, as though Eric’s inanity might be catching. On he prattled about avocados.
Ugh! I groaned, and switched off.
‘No!’ Charlotte said when I rang her and she was done laughing. ‘That’s not the best part! Didn’t you see the rest?’
The ‘rest’, when I looked again, was Eric even more hammered, looming over a startled, fair-haired young woman. ‘I’m a weak man. A bad person. No, you don’t understand . . . I mean a bad person. I’ve done things . . .’ Hiccup. ‘Things I’m not proud of . . .’ He was hanging on to his whisky glass for dear life, talking off to the side of her head like he was losing focus, clearly oblivious to the iPhone camera that was trained on him. ‘Where’s my wife, anyway?’ He turned and scanned the room for me, as though he was trying to peer through molasses. ‘I need to find my wife . . .’ His bleary gaze finally returned to the blonde’s ear.  He suddenly looked somber, haunted. ‘Let me tell you I love my wife. Have you met her? She’s the best… the best person. I don’t deserve her. I will never deserve her . . .’
The videographer got bored and panned to someone else.
‘He was drunk,’ I said to Charlotte, flatly, feeling uncomfortably exposed. ‘He’s under a lot of pressure. That’s how he relieves his stress sometimes.’
If she was thinking, Do you have any idea what he was talking about?, she had the good grace not to ask. As I was, I couldn’t have enlightened her. 
 Copyright Carol Mason 2020

About the Author

 Carol Mason was born and grew up in the north-east of England. As a teenager she was crowned Britain’s National Smile Princess and subsequently became a model, diplomat-in-training, hotel receptionist and advertising copywriter. She currently lives in British Columbia, Canada, with her Canadian husband. To learn more about Carol and her novels, visit www.carolmasonbooks.com. 
You can follow Carol here: Twitter 
Book link: Amazon UK 

Thanks to Carol Mason and Rachel of  Rachel's Random Resources for the extract and a place on the event.
 

Comments