Skip to main content

Featured

His Last Christmas Gift by Debra Borchert #Review

    His Last Christmas Gift by Debra Borchert will take you to a different country and season. It was published by Le Vin Press on 1st November 2025. Widowed, fired, and 50, Claire is one hot mess. This later in life romance hits like a snowball packed with grief and hope and mystery and the kind of second-chance that says, “I didn’t think I’d ever feel this again, and now I’m terrified, but… Hi.” Romance that’s frost melting off a windowpane. It’s “I forgot my heart could do this.” It’s love doesn’t have an expiration date. Twinkly lights, mulled wine and flaming crêpes so immerse you in Christmas markets—you’ll book a flight to France before the fares go up. A book club fiction favourite, Claire’s journey of self-discovery is perfect for fans of women’s fiction and stories about strong women over 50 navigating reinvention with inspiration, humour, with a delicious frosting of romance. “Give yourself the gift of a lush, romantic, French adventure and be swept away ...

Six Lies by Ben Adams


I was sent a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Six Lies is the author's second novel. It fizzes along at a good pace and was an enjoyable read. It centres around Dave who has just buried his mother, only to find that everything he believed was true about his childhood was in fact nothing of the sort. In a letter delivered after her death, his mother breaks the news that she is not his biological mother. To find out the truth, he will have to confront his father. In addition, Dave is pining for his wife who has left him for a librarian.  As the story unfolds, Dave discovers more lies and misapprehensions and he uncovers further secrets from the past.

Humour runs through the book from start to finish, tinged with a hint of cynicism. Dave does not take himself too seriously although he is faced with life changing moments.  The soundtrack of the 80's  echoes in the background as Dave's band stays resolutely fixed in that decade. I found Dave's friends from the band  entertaining and they added to the enjoyment.

As a story to read over the holiday period, it was a good choice. It is upbeat and despite the story line has an upbeat feel. In all, I thought that the plot was inventive and kept my interest. A twist towards the end took me by surprise. I also liked hearing from other characters as a couple of chapters were written from their perspective. This added variety to the story. 

In short: an entertaining read which kept my interest to the end.

Comments